Thursday, May 19, 2011

On becoming trailer trash

Our very empty camping spot......with Camryn sweeping dirt in the background

I have only just completed my last blog entry Camping, cleats, and cleaning up nature. However what I didn't mention in that post is that I also started looking to buy my own trailer this weekend. I started by searching for a bunk model so that each of my two kids could have their own dedicated bed. Drew always wants the bottom bunk even though he's the oldest and Camryn loves being up top. At least nobody is fighting over beds. I assumed bunk models would be easy to find and in a way it was. However not in my price range....or era. Seems you can have one or the other but not both. Let's just say I've seen some really run down trailers this weekend. Part of my problem is that I wanted to pay cash for my trailer. The idea was to not end up in debt but to actually pay for it outright so that I owned it free and clear.

So off to the RV dealership the family went. The first model I saw wasn't too bad as far as layout however it wasn't overly clean. By not overly clean I mean there was so much hair in the tub you'd think they had shag carpets. Yah, I'll give you a minute to recover from recoiling....at least you didn't have to see it in person. Be thankful that I didn't bring my camera for that tour. The second trailer I saw was a huge improvement but a bit above my budget. It was also way over priced for the model and year but someone bought both of them before the day was out. Maybe they got the shag carpet thrown in for free. Ewww. Oh well, no matter. The second place I went to was also a dealership. The guy pounced on us as soon as he realized that we were buyers. I told him my budget and he proceeded to tell me the qualities of a brand new model that was more than double what I told him my budget was. Apparently he thinks I was born yesterday. I wish!! I know these guys are probably used to being able to talk people into paying more than they intended but the second he realized that my budget was.....well....my actual budget he showed me two run down trailers and then tried to drop me as fast as he could. The third dealership apparently only had trailers that were a hundred years old. Let's just say I was surprised they didn't have square stone wheels. I don't care how luxurious something used to be.....the key part of that statement is "used to be". The sales guy even joked about being able to play my 8 tracks. It actually had a cassette player but let's just say it was probably a cutting edge prototype when this trailer was built. Mind you I'd have somewhere to play my Bananarama tapes again. "Like totally. Whatever". For the record I don't have any Bananarama tapes......anymore.


After getting a little worn out from visiting dealerships I decided on a trailer that was just parked in the local Canadian Tire parking lot with a big old for sale sign in the window. It's 15 years old but in really good condition. It does not have any bunks but does have beds for the kids. Okay so one child will have to get off the table in the morning so I can have my coffee and the other might have people stepping over them to get out the door but it's pretty perfect for us.....well except that it doesn't come with anywhere to play my 8 tracks. Sigh. I guess I can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment