Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The good, the bad, and the nut cracking......


Drew tolerating me getting a photo

Today was just one of those days for my kids. When they got out of school I heard all about Camryn crying in class. This is unfortunately not an unexpected thing lately. I'll save all the reasons for this for an upcoming blog but it basically wasn't a stellar day in candy land. Drew had basketball in phys. ed. today and I'll start by saying that gym is usually not one of his favourite classes. His dad and I both played sports but physically Drew really struggles with anything that requires coordination and energy. Then you add on the social aspects of a team sport and the risk of public ridicule and it's often everything Drew has to participate in these kinds of things. Today they also happened to have swimming lessons after school and while Drew usually likes swimming he had apparently forgotten about them. So when I brough his bathing suit up to him the camels back was broken. It was just more than he could take. Let me say for the record that we have about a 30 minute turn around time from when the kids walk in the door until we need to be dipping our feet in the pool water but sometimes you just have to have a good cry so I sat calmly watching the minutes tick by on the digital clock in Andrews room. All the while dying inside to rush out the door. Thankfully once he got some of it out he collected himself and we still made it just in time. A miracle I tell you especially because neither kid could tell how stessed out I felt. Thank you high school drama classes. Oh did I mention I played the charcter of Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh in grade 12......the most high strung creature in the story. Yah. That really wasn't acting....just saying.

Their lessons are an hour long and I was kind of dreading how much worse they might feel by the end of it all. When you start with crying it usually doesn't get better after that. It was 5:30 and they both came out looking reasonably calm. Phew. So far so good. As Camryn got close to where I was sitting I asked her if she had a good class. In response to my question about her lesson she says "Well if by good you mean it was a nut cracker then yes, it was great". She said it with a straight face and I could tell that she was being completely serious. No sarcasm there. I'll admit I was a little lost for words. What do I say to that? "Oh great honey, glad you had so much fun it was like having your nuts in a vice". I didn't have the heart to explain to her that she doesn't have any "nuts" to crack. Oh dear......where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment