Monday, June 27, 2011

What if I just cancelled summer vacation?



The end is near. No, not the end of the world. The end of this school year. Both kids have exactly one day left of school this year. Okay, Andrew would be quick to correct me. He has a half day tomorrow so he has less than a day of school this year. Either way both he and Camryn seem excited about the start of summer vacation. I wish I could share in the excitement. I really should be happy about it. It's the end of having to think about lunch at 6:30 am when I'm half asleep and realize that I should have bought some groceries the day before. The end of having to worry that the kids have a matched set of mitts, socks, or even shoes available. No more homework to help them with for 2 whole months. Not to mention the fact that it's summer and we are actually getting weather that is worthy of shorts. Hooray.

But you see in my house the end of school is an end to the predictable routine of life. Even though both my kids are looking forward to summer they do not do well with any kind of changes including summer vacation.

OMG

The next week....okay get real Colleen.....the next two weeks are what I call my own personal purgatory. I can expect non-stop fighting and moodiness from the kids. They don't mean to get into trouble but because they are so "off" during the first few weeks of doing nothing in particular and because there are two of them it is the least fun time of our year.  It's kind of like when you think having a second baby will only be twice as much work as having one but then you realize that rather than doubling you should have squared the amount of work. Two grouchy children is really like having four because they fight with each other so even if one started the day okay by the end everyone is moody and miserable.....especially me!!


Me in the morning. Okay, I'm not wearing any make-up and my hair isn't brushed but you get the picture.

Please give me the strength not to sell my children to the highest bidder or to lock myself in the bathroom with a bottle of red wine. Time to hunker down and get'er done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment